WHAT IS GOSSIP?
“Gossip” is endowed with several meanings. To some, it refers only to malicious or actionable talk about someone beyond the person’s hearing; some believe that gossip involves just untrue tales, while others think it can include truthful remarks. Still others consider “gossip” to be any talk of a person’s or institution’s affairs—whether personal or professional, innocuous or slanderous.
DANGERS OF GOSSIP
Some negative consequences of workplace gossip are:
1. Erosion of trust and morale.
2. Lost productivity and wasted time.
3. Increased anxiety among employees as rumors circulate without clear information as to what is and isn’t fact.
4. Divisiveness among employees as people take sides.
5. Hurt feelings and reputations.
6. Attrition due to good employees leaving the company because of an unhealthy work environment.